Divorce. Child Custody. Adoption. Wills. Difficult Family Law Issues.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Uncategorized
  4.  » Choosing between agency and independent adoption

Choosing between agency and independent adoption

On Behalf of | Sep 19, 2016 | Uncategorized

When you have decided to domestically adopt a child, the first step is knowing which path to take. Child adoption can be done independently or through an agency. The type of adoption you pursue depends on your needs and personal preference. Both methods have their pros and cons.

There are two types of adoption agencies: private and public. Private agencies might be selective about their clients. They may limit their representation to the wealthy, or to people belonging to a specific religion. Private adoption agencies offer counseling that could be helpful in the transition process of the to-be parents and the child. Private adoption agencies might normally locate infants or expectant mothers who wish to give their child away. This limits the quantity of children awaiting adoption.

On the other hand, public agencies have children of all ages that need to be adopted. These agencies might not provide support or counseling due to lack of resources. Public adoption agencies charge much less than private institutions. When adopting via agencies, children and adoptive parents are normally strangers and have not met before.

People who would like to have a close relationship with the birth parents should opt for independent adoption agencies. Independent adoptions might be more restrictive by nature as compared to agency adoptions. It is possible that more monitoring and reporting is imposed on the adoptive parents. Independent adoption has an edge over other options as it gives both adoptive and birth parents control over the entire process.

A lot of thought and planning should be put into deciding what type of adoption you want to consider. There is no ideal form; each person should decide based on their needs and preferences. You might want to consider hiring an attorney to assist you with the process.

FindLaw Network