Termination of rights of unfit parent may clear path for adoption

Perhaps the greatest wish for a child is that he or she can grow up in a safe and loving environment. Unfortunately, sometimes a parent is simply not up to handling the responsibilities of parenthood. And in extreme cases, it may become necessary for someone to step in and not only have the child removed from his or her perilous situation, but also give the child a more secure home in which to live.

If you are a grandparent or other close relative of a child who you believe needs to be removed from a dangerous situation, you will have to prove to the court that such a move would be in the child's best interests. There are a number of reasons a judge may opt to terminate a parent's rights. Some of these reasons include the parent doing the following:

  • Sexually abusing the child.
  • Neglecting the child.
  • Abandoning the child.
  • Abusing drugs or alcohol.
  • Suffering from mental illness over a long period of time.

It is incredibly painful and frightening to know that a child you love is suffering due to neglect or some other form of abuse. But if you are willing to fight to help that child, then he or she may have the opportunity to live a happier, healthier life. And while it can be a challenge to get a parent's rights terminated, it may be a necessary step. But to do this, you will need to gather evidence that can be presented in court.

A Texas adoption attorney may be able to help you expedite this process in an effort to get the child to safety. If you are able to successfully gain custody of the child, the attorney could also guide you through the adoption process.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get Answers To Your Questions

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

12777 Jones Road, Suite 150
Houston, TX 77070

Phone: 281-894-1590
Fax: 281-894-1992
Map & Directions

Tomball Office
500 West Main
Tomball, Texas 77375

Map & Directions