Divorce. Child Custody. Adoption. Wills. Difficult Family Law Issues.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Uncategorized
  4.  » What can I do to get my child support payments modified?

What can I do to get my child support payments modified?

On Behalf of | Feb 7, 2016 | Uncategorized

If you have been designated to pay child support, you are likely aware that doing so is a legal obligation. When the court sets the amount of support that must be paid, it does so with the assumption that the payer has the resources necessary to cover the cost.

But let’s say at the time the amount was set, your financial situation was such that you could afford the payments, but since that time your circumstances have changed, making it impossible to fulfill your support duties. You may be wondering what you can do in response your present state of affairs.

Well, it is possible to have the terms of your support agreement modified, but you will need to be proactive to get the changes made. One of the first steps you can take is to simply appeal to the child’s other parent. This is a wise move to make because if the other parent agrees to your suggested terms, you will be able to avoid any other legal processes such as mediation or going to court.

If the child’s other parent rejects your proposal, you may have to take further steps, which could include filing a modification request with the court. But before the court renders its decision, it is important that you do your best to keep up with your payments. Also, you should record how your circumstances have changed from the time your support agreement was created. It is recommended to document your household expenses as well as the things you have done to try to improve your situation.

Challenging life changes, such as losing a job or suddenly needing expensive medical care, can profoundly affect your ability to meet your financial obligations. And while paying child support is important, you should only be held accountable for what you can reasonably provide.

If you need to have your support agreement modified, a Texas family law attorney may be able to help you. The attorney could be part of a mediation process or represent your interests in a court of law.

FindLaw Network