Relationships are rarely static. Things can happen over time that alter the feelings people have for one another. If a married couple reaches a point where they are no longer happy together, it might be time to consider a split. Often, spouses are hesitant about taking such a big step. After all, they may have invested a good part of their lives trying to make things work.
This is why it is important to look closely at how a marriage is actually functioning. By carefully assessing the condition of a marriage, spouses can make better-informed decisions regarding their future together.
So, what are some signs a marriage may no longer be working? Here are a few things that a marriage expert offers up as possible areas of concern:
- When spouses fail to express or respond to each other’s needs.
- When there is a distinct lack of mutual respect being displayed in the relationship.
- If there is constant infidelity on behalf of a spouse.
- When spouses have uncoupled. That is to say, when they no longer spend time together and being apart feels like a reprieve.
- If one of the partners simply refuses to put any effort toward making the marriage work.
Marriages are often extremely complicated and can break down for many reasons, not just the ones listed above. If you are having difficulties and believe your marriage is on the brink of ending, you will have a number of very important decisions to make.
Fortunately, you do not have to try to work out the details of a divorce on your own. A Texas family law attorney may be able to offer you help and guidance as you tackle such important issues as asset and property division, child custody and child support.