Your child must feel at home at your house

If you move out of the marital home when you divorce, you might find that your children are having trouble adjusting to life at your home. There are some ways that you might be able to help them feel more at home there. It will take time, especially since they aren't with you on a daily basis, so be willing to give them time.

First, give them their own space. If your children can have their own bedroom, that should be their own space. If more than one will share the room, be sure that they each have their own drawers or area in the closet. This should be the place where they can keep their things.

Second, let them have a say in the d├ęcor. This doesn't mean that you have to do everything they want. Instead, you might decide that they can decorate their own room or maybe they can be in charge of a bathroom. Of course, you have the final say, but letting them have a part in their decisions can help them to feel like they are an important part of the family.

Third, remind them that they can have happiness in both homes. They often feel divided since they have two houses. There really isn't a reason for this since they are in both families. Encourage them to have fun at your house and your ex's, and ask them to share their memories with you.

It will also help for you to set the terms of the parenting plan in a way that reflects your children's needs. Mutual respect is a must for the parents, and conflict resolution should be included in the order.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get Answers To Your Questions

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

12777 Jones Road, Suite 150
Houston, TX 77070

Phone: 281-894-1590
Fax: 281-894-1992
Map & Directions

Tomball Office
500 West Main
Tomball, Texas 77375

Map & Directions