Parent abduction may call for custody modification

When a married couple who has children divorces, typically one of the parents is granted primary custodial duties. In a best-case scenario, both spouses are amenable to the terms of the child custody agreement. Unfortunately, sometimes non-custodial parents can let their emotions get the better of them and choose to abduct the child.

A child abduction situation can be very stressful for all involved. The custodial parent could be overwhelmed with fear because he or she does not know the child's location. The child may also be scared and confused by having his or her life so dramatically altered.

In such situations, law enforcement officials may be brought in to help get the child back. As this article details, parental abduction can elicit the involvement of federal and state officials, including the FBI. However, if the child is taken out of the country where these authorities lack jurisdiction, it can be even more difficult to get the child back.

If your child is ever taken by your ex-spouse in violation of your custody agreement, you will likely be extremely anxious until the child is returned. Once you regain custody, you may wish to have the custody order modified in a manner that makes such incidents of kidnapping less possible.

A Texas family law attorney may be able to offer you guidance and representation when you are seeking a modification of a child custody order. The attorney could work on your behalf to possibly limit or terminate the visitation rights of the parent who absconded with your child.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get Answers To Your Questions

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

12777 Jones Road, Suite 150
Houston, TX 77070

Phone: 281-894-1590
Fax: 281-894-1992
Map & Directions

Tomball Office
500 West Main
Tomball, Texas 77375

Map & Directions