What are the responsibilities of a nonparent conservator?

In a perfect world, all children would live in stable homes where they were loved and cared for by both parents. Unfortunately, the world is not a perfect place and sometimes a child may endure hardships in the home. Some situations can be so dire that a child may not be able to live with either of his or her biological parents.

If a child?s biological parents are unable to provide a safe home, the child may be able to live with another party. Authorized agencies, licensed child-placing agencies and nonparents can be granted conservatorship of a child. But if someone other than a child?s parent becomes a conservator, what are his or her responsibilities and rights?

According to statutes cited online, these are some of the responsibilities and rights of nonparent conservators in Texas:

  • They are responsible for providing food, shelter and clothing for their children.
  • They are responsible for the protection, care, and control of their children.
  • They are responsible for taking reasonable actions to discipline their children.
  • They have the right to choose their children's primary residence and to make choices regarding their children?s education.
  • They have the right to grant consent for their children to receive surgical, medical, dental and psychological treatment.

When a court makes a decision on who should be responsible for the care and housing of a child, that decision is based on the child?s best interest. If you are interested in becoming the conservator to a child that needs a home, you will need to demonstrate that you can offer that child a stable, healthy environment in which to live.

A Texas child custody attorney may be able to offer advice and guidance on how to present your case when attempting to gain legal custody of someone else?s child.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get Answers To Your Questions

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

12777 Jones Road, Suite 150
Houston, TX 77070

Phone: 281-894-1590
Fax: 281-894-1992
Map & Directions

Tomball Office
500 West Main
Tomball, Texas 77375

Map & Directions